Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Latitudes of Gratitude



When my mind is stuck in the storm of daily thoughts (they say we have 50,000 per day), time goes by - fairly unnoticed.  I manage.  I complete.  I wash.  I repeat.

Sometimes it feels like I'm on autopilot.  My routines keep me afloat.  It's often in these times, in these moments, when I lose my presence and get caught up in automatic thoughts.  Task, task, task.  I don't set aside the time to stop and reflect.  To smile at the things that are smiling back at me.  To take in the simple joys that happen everyday.  I'm too busy with my big ol' nose to the grindstone.

One of the things that I take for granted is my health.  Overall, I'm a fairly healthy individual.  I eat healthily.  I like to walk, hike, and practice yoga.  I often take for granted the simple fact that I have a body in pretty good condition.  It gets me through.  I am blessed to not be battling a crippling illness or disease.  I am blessed that I have the simple ability to type these words.  I have smart, little fingers.  But my daily health can be something that I take for granted.  It's often that I don't even notice, until I get sick, and experience the opposite.

Another thing that I catch myself take for granted is my car.  Cars are pesky little machines.  It's not until we break down or something major happens that we notice how important our vehicles are to our daily lives.  I often jump in my car, expect it to start, and expect that it's going to take me everywhere I need to go.  Sometimes, I remember to appreciate it for still running so well.  I have no impending service or bills.  She's a good car.  I will pet her dashboard to show her love.





I have so much gratitude for all the people in my life.  I must give a huge shout out to my colleagues at work.  They are some of the kindest, most hardworking people you've ever met.  I couldn't be more blessed with the staff I have.  They put their heart and soul into their jobs, and they are truly inspiring people.  I look forward to seeing them everyday.  Some of them are the closest friends I have right now.

I am also very grateful for the opportunity to teach this very class.  This class was an idea that popped into my head last year, and it is amazing to see it come alive.  I hardly have the time to properly teach it, and I'd love to teach it live, but so far, it's coming together so well.  I am grateful that the students are taking it seriously.  Many of them are writing the most amazing journals and poems.  It's heart warming.  I am grateful for the opportunity.  It's worth the late nights and early mornings by the computer.

Lastly, I am simply grateful to be alive.  This past weekend, I had an interesting and humbling experience at sea, as my two friends and I were fogged in while snorkeling off of Catalina Island.  It was a bit nerve wracking to be so blinded while on the water.  All we could see was the boat, the white everything, and a little, nickel-sized disk of a sun.  By grace, we were able to slowly navigate our way back down the coast to harbor.  For a moment, we got a little nervous.  It just goes to show that life really is precious.

Hug everyone you love.




Taking in More Good

I could do a better job of taking in the good of great conversations I have with my friends.  A stimulating conversation is worth so much.  I oftentimes get stuck and stop listening to people, and I get fixated on what I want to say instead.  I could do a better job of staying present, hearing them out, and then offering my counterpoint.  I could be more present.  With that, I would probably relax more and enjoy those conversations.  Then, I can appreciate them, my friends (even more), and the intimate experience of great conversation.




This Week's Poem: 5 Haikus of Gratitude



Quiet village moon
mist looms behind the houses
Avalon morning


Everything turned white
except the nearby ripples
I swear, that was it


Sleepy seaside town
bells chime across the canyon
time again stood still


A cup of coffee
splits everything into two
She likes the grey clouds

Six A.M. darkness
well, might as well be midnight
here comes the movement

No cars, just golf carts
breakfast sounds climb through windows
Everyone sleeps in







No comments:

Post a Comment